I found this article the other day 7 Sneaky Ways to Ruin a Marriage Ok, its set up like a slideshow, which is annoying, BUT it is worth it, so click away!
After reading that please come back here and read the rest of this post, which is basically the polar opposite of that one!
Seven Ways to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Have Sex. It draws you together in every way (physically-duh!, spiritually, emotionally, mentally)
- Do something to gain the respect of your spouse
- Do things to make yourself interesting. Start a new hobby! Read a book and talk about it with your spouse Read an article and talk about it. Watch a documentary instead of a TV show, etc.
- Take care of yourself. Work out. Eat right. Dress nicely. Take time for YOU.
- Do things by yourself. And I don’t mean going to the grocery store! Do something fun that your spouse HATES but you LOVE, and do it by yourself!
- Do something to better yourself. No one is perfect. We are, after all, all human. Which means we all make mistakes and we all have things we can work on to make ourselves better people in general, not just better spouses.
- WORK on your relationship. Relationships take work, its true. There is nothing you can do to change how hard it is, so work on it! This is a daily choice we all have to make to not just maintain, but better our marriage relationship.
NOTE: I am NOT an expert in this field, but I AM married. And this article really resonated with me, so I thought I would make it into something positive rather than SO negative. Although I am sure part of the draw was the backward-ness of it.